After spending the last three days in the Namib Desert, we had some useful tips we wanted to share with you:
- DO NOT assume that all highways are paved roads.
- DO NOT expect to go faster than 40 km/hr – which means a 300 km journey will take 7.5 hrs!
- DO NOT be surprised when a river intersects the highway.
- DO know how to change a tire – just in case!
- DO wear a sports bra (as it is a very bumpy drive J)
- DO bring a roll of toilet paper for road side bathroom stops.
- DO bring lots of munchies.
- DO bring a fully charged cell phone (although it doesn’t really matter, as there is no service).
- DO bring a fully charged ipod with HOURS of music selection.
- DO NOT expect to see road signs, kilometer markings or ANY other cars or people.
- DO secure hubcaps before your trip.
- DO bring extra clothes and rain boots in case you need to push your car out of mud.
- DO NOT stop laughing! What else can you do in the middle of no where???
And most importantly, (information that would have been nice YESTERDAY)… DO NOT attempt the trip in a compact car (like a white Nissan Tilda)…4X4 only!